It is beneficial for parents to pay attention to their children’s feet as they are growing. The majority of babies are born with flat feet, and the arch generally develops during their teenage years. If this fails to occur, orthotics may be needed that may help to strengthen the foot. A foot care routine can begin with washing the child’s feet, and ensuring the area between the toes is thoroughly dried. This can be followed by trimming the toenails properly, which is typically done once per week. The feet can become stronger when babies crawl barefoot while indoors, as a result of the toes gripping the floor. When it is time to walk outside, it is beneficial for the first shoes to be made with a sturdy sole and flexible materials. The feet have several thousand sweat glands, and while sweating is normal, there may be an offensive odor. It is suggested to discuss this with a podiatrist, in addition to any information you would like to know about children’s foot health.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact the podiatrists of Boston Common Podiatry. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Boston, MA . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.