Are Shoes Necessary for Proper Foot Development in Babies?
Babies' feet will grow and develop normally regardless of whether shoes are worn. It is beneficial to have your child walk barefoot while inside as this can help to strengthen the overall foot. The toes grip the floor to maintain balance, and this may help to accelerate the walking process. Warmer weather may encourage you to allow your child to walk outside without shoes. This may provide the opportunity of feeling the sand or grass on the feet. Many parents choose to have their children wear non-slip socks in the house when they have tile or wood floors, and this can be helpful in preventing unnecessary falling. When the weather turns chilly, it is important that the first pair of shoes have a sturdy but flexible sole, and the foot can be properly supported with traditional laces or velcro straps. If you would like additional information about what type of first shoes to buy for your baby, please confer with a podiatrist.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact the podiatrists of Boston Common Podiatry. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Boston, MA . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.